Post-Secondary Students can vote in Municipal Elections
There is a special rule for students who may be living away from home while they attend school. If you are a student and consider your "home" to be the place where you live when you are not attending school, which means you plan on returning there, then you are eligible to vote in both your "home" municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.
My "Home" is Kingston but I go to School in another City
I go to School in Kingston but my "Home" is Someplace Else.
If you own, rent or live in residence in Kingston you can vote in Kingston's municipal election.
You can register to vote, and then vote, in the Kingston election on Advance Voting Day (October 16) or Voting Day (October 22).
You will need to bring a piece of identification with your name and your Kingston address. If Kingston is not your regular home, this will likely be:
- Your lease or rental agreement.
- Your Rental insurance statement.
- Document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution.
- Utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission.
- Cheque stub or pay receipt issued by an employer.
- Transcript or report card from a post-secondary institution
The full list of acceptable documents can be found here.
Where do I vote?
To find out which district you live in, find where you live on this map.
Advance Voting Day (October 16) Voting Locations
You can vote in the voting place in your district.
- Collins-Bayridge District: Mother Teresa Catholic School - 1044 Lancaster Drive
- Countryside District: Glenburnie Fire Hall - 1485 Unity Road
- Kingscourt-Rideau District: St. Francis of Assisi Catholic School - 114 Wiley Street
- King's Town District: Artillery Park Aquatic Centre - 382 Bagot Street
- Lakeside District: Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School - 20 Cranbrook Street
- Loyalist Cataraqui District: Cataraqui Woods Elementary School - 1255 Birchwood Drive
- Meadowbrook-Strathcona District: St. Marguerite Bourgeoys Catholic School - 355 Waterloo Drive
- Pittsburgh District: St. Martha Catholic School - 455 St. Martha Street
- Portsmouth District: Portsmouth Olympic Harbour - 53 Yonge Street
- Sydenham District: Winston Churchill Public School - 530 Earl Street
- Trillium Distirct: Archbishop O'Sullivan Catholic School - 974 Pembridge Crescent
- Williamsville District: Kingston Memorial Centre - 303 York Street
Voting Day (October 22) Voting Locations
You can vote in any voting place in your district.
- Holy Cross Catholic Secondary School - 1085 Woodbine Road
- St. Paul the Apostle Parish - 1111 Taylor-Kidd Boulevard
- Glenburnie Fire Hall - 1485 Unity Road
- MacLachlan Woodworking Museum - 2993 Highway 2
- Rock Road Fire Hall - 2835 Highway 38
- Our Lady of Fatima Parish - 588 Division Street
- Rideau Heights Community Centre - 85 McCauley Street
King's Town District
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre - 382 Bagot Street
- Regiopolis-Notre Dame Catholic High School - 130 Russell Street
Loyalist Cataraqui District
- Cooke's-Portsmouth United Church - 200 Norman Rogers Drive
- Portsmouth Olympic Harbour - 53 Yonge Street
- Chalmers United Church - 212 Barrie Street
- Queen's University Athletics and Recreation Centre - 284 Earl Street